Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman[_2_] The Medway Handyman[_2_] is offline

Default Making a door for my garden gate

Calvin Sambrook wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...
mo wrote:
Hi
I need to buy some materials to make a 'full size' door for my new
garden gate.

Assume you mean new garden shed, not gate?

The fixed parts of the gate are featheredge.

Now for the door I could make my Z frame and then have featheredge
on the other side to match the rest of the gate or I could just use
plane rectangular strips. Any reason to choose oen over the other?

F/E is available treated to resist rot. I make a lot of garden
gates out of F/E. Ledges & braces can be 100 x 19 treated or 150mm
gravel boards.

Obviously I want the door to be fairly light to put less strain on
the frame.

Which material is the best? I will be painting it brown with fence
panel paint stuff to match my fence panels.

Also, when I make my Z frame how do I get it to stay together BEFORE
I put the 'covering' on?

i.e if you look here, this is similar to what i might do -
http://www.secrets-of-shed-building....hed-door-5.jpg

https://www.nextdaydiy.com/doors-win...s-19805/gates-
19819/external-knotty-ledged-braced-4554-1223_zoom.jpg

Would you make the frame first then put the rest of the door on or
do it all as you go? Is it glue initally holding the frame
together, i don't see any screws apart from those going into the
main part of the door??

Measure the width of the opening & deduct around 10mm for clearance.
Cut 3 horizontal ledges this size & lay them out on a flat surface
in the position you want them.

Take 1 piece of F/E slightly longer than the finished height & screw
it to the ledges using a square to ensure all is at right angles, 2
screws in each ledge.

Loose lay the rest of the F/E across the ledges & adjust until you
have a roughly even overlap. Now make a 'spacer' to this gap size. Use
this to keep the overlap even. Screw boards to ledges so the
last board overlaps the length of the ledges slightly.

Turn the whole lot over. Lay out 2 pieces in position for the
braces, mark where they meet the ledges, join the lines & cut the
angle carefully. Screw in from other side.

Trim top, bottom & edge to final size with circular saw.

One this no-one's mentioned is that the braces need to "point" the
right way, with the base near the hinge and the top on the latch
side. For a really quality job notch the ledge a little (say 10mm)
where the brace will meet it so the end of the brace sits in the
notch.

Very true. Surprising how many gates one see's with the brace's pointing
the wrong way.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk