Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Transition from 2 1/4 wood flooring to 3 inch

On Apr 5, 4:13*pm, Heathcliff wrote:
On Apr 5, 1:52*pm, stryped wrote:

I have 3 inch floorin gin a dinning orom and carpet in the adjoining
living room. I got a good deal on some 2 1/4 inch flooring that nearly
matches the three inch. Is there a good was to transition from one
size to another to make the size difference less apparant? The rooms
are separated by a wide "doorway" without the door.

You might think creatively about how to work the transition, just
using wood flooring. *Put in a few perpendicular strips in the
transition area, maybe in a different wood, or some parquet, or
something like that to break it up visually. *But keep it all at the
same level. Don't use a threshold that sticks up if you can avoid it.
Also, stick with wood - I think if you used granite or slate or
something the difference in material might make a slip/fall hazard
even if it was all level. -- H

If the wood in the doorway width is installed either at right angles,
or maybe in some sort of diagonal or diamond pattern, the difference
in the two rooms will be hard to notice because the human eye will be
more attracted to the interesting design within the doorway width.