Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default code question on height above roof deck for water heater vent

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Situation- only thing left in original chimney stack is the vent for
the gas water heater. (Furnace goes out side wall just above ground
level now.) Chimney stack and flashing above roofline is failing, and
may be slightly leaking, judging by stains on bathroom ceiling right
below it. I have been quoted $800 to demo and rebuild chimney stack
from roofline up, using proper flashing instead of sheet goods and tar
and gravel like roofing company used. My father, the 83 YO house
designer, suggested that I should simply demo top part of chimney,
patch roof deck and shingles, and use a prefab metal exhaust pipe
instead. How tall would it have to be? Wind and snow load is a
consideration. 5-12 roof, and current chimney is higher than ridge
line of roof. I'm concerned that a real tall metal stack would look
funny and unacceptable to any future buyers and house inspectors.

Thoughts and ideas?

--
aem sends...

You probably have to maintain the height to be in compliance. I forget
the exact working, but it must be x higher than anything within 10
feet. I'd consider removing the chimney completely and getting a new
high efficiency water heater with an outside vent rather than a
chimney. Total cost may be similar and no headaches later.

I hadn't even thought of that. Recovering that corner would be nice for
the eventual (probably by next owner) bathroom gut job and remodel.

Too many options- brain freeze coming on.

I just dabbed a coat of Killz over the stains in bathroom ceiling. If
the stains don't come back right after the next rainstorm, maybe I'll
procrastinate the repair another year, or leave it for the next owner.

--
aem sends...