Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Limescale Removal

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:25:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Chlorine gas is given off as it reacts with the limescale.

It shouldn't be.

I'd be surprised but you can get chlorine out of loo if you pee into
bleach IIRC. I wouldn't like to say what is also locked up in the
"lime scale" of a toilet pan.

Bleach is not hydrochloric acid. Its very alkaline in fact. The
chlorine smelling stuff is soemth8ng else.. I forget what.

I think I'd give the supermarket toilet lime scale removers a chance
first before bring out the heavy guns of brick acid.

they are incredibly expensive in the sort of quantities needed. They do
indeed work, but they are less effective, being designed to be safe over
chrome (mainly) and having all sorts of other attributes, like sticking
to surfaces - that are not needed in this case.