Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Pet stains on wood floors

"ng_reader" wrote
cshenk wrote:

5/8" red oak, stained with dog pee.

A few questions then I'll come up with best guess since I can't actually
see it (if you can get a picture online it will help)

1) How old is the stain? Is there any odor left?

The pee stains are about 2 years old now. the dog, about 2.5. Odor? Not
that I smell.

Ok, no sub-floor issues. Workable then without any sort of major 'issues'
needed.

2) How big is the stain?

I never wanted the dog in the first place. If and when you get kids,
sometimes the kids win and you don't. In fact, in our household, I'd put
that ration at 80:20. To answer your question, about 25% of the floor is
affected.

Hehe ok, but I see below coverable due to location.

To fix 25% 'correctly', you have to resand below it and with thin wood like
you have and age of stain, it wont work.

You *may* get away with light sanding of the retextured areas and the rest
then restain. This will look 'better' but not ever perfect.

A little background might help. The floor, 50 years old, was originally
stapled with vinyl tiles shortly after construction. So, besides the pee
stains I have metal oxide stains. Sorry for not mentioning that.

It's actually odd to see wood that thin in houses that old but happens.

3) What color is the stain in relation to the rest of the wood?

Black. Red Oak is kind of dark. Pee stains are large black circles from 7"
diameter to 12" diameter. Oh, that urine made the surface rougher, did I
mention that? Had to be some kind of chemical reaction.

Yup, chemical over time is best guess.

4) Estimated age of the floor and can you find matching replacement
pieces?

Actually when I moved in about 9 years ago Home Depot stocked the 3/8" red
oak unfinished wood. I thought that was odd. Same width, too. Odder yet.
This stuff is just top nailed in, not tongue and groove, so replacing
could be an option, however....

The tounge-n-groove stuff came out later.

5) How important based on location is 'perfect coverage'?

Not very. The runner is going to back down on top of whatever we create.

Ok, sand, and try your method then. Your's wont make it worse.

I'm finished removing the surface to the bare wood and the stains are
clearly visible. 3/8" inch is pretty thin. It might penetrate down to 50%
depth, and, that is something that I'm not going to mess with.

Nor would I. Replace whe you start hitting that level.

+++++++++

I've read the ammonia and then hydrogen peroxide setup. I think that's my
direction. I'm not going to remove the damaged pieces, it would be way too
much work.

No need if you arent selling and a rug works.

I'll re-read the min-wax brochure, and continue to read about bleaching
wood. Right now I'm just trying to get to bare wood and am about 1/2 way
done. Using a little belt sander isn't so bad. A lot of saw dust but
manageable, for the most part.

Thanks for your response.

Hey, cats and dogs, living in sin here (grin).