Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Pet stains on wood floors

"ng_reader" wrote

5/8" red oak, stained with dog pee.
Oxacylic acid? Bleach?

How old are the stains? That makes a big difference.

Can I stain with spots and blend it in, or will it make the dog pee just
that much darker?

Probably will never get a good match that way. You may be able to come
close (IE: not perfect but less of an eyesore)

Sanding sealer? Never used it. Sounds like a good idea. Is it?

Resanding and refinishing will only work if the stains arent very deep and
you go a fairly dark color.

And for gaps I've heard taking sawdust, mixing with wood glue, putty knife
into gaps. Then sand. Anyone ever try this?

Nope. Doesnt work.

Not a big area, just using my small belt sander (alright, got the Mrs.
doing that) and wondering what to do next....

Hehehe if she's already sanded it, your choices are somewhat limited.

A few questions then I'll come up with best guess since I can't actually see
it (if you can get a picture online it will help)

1) How old is the stain? Is there any odor left?

2) How big is the stain?

3) What color is the stain in relation to the rest of the wood?

4) Estimated age of the floor and can you find matching replacement pieces?

5) How important based on location is 'perfect coverage'?

Also, if you can tell anything at all on how deep the stain seems to be,
that helps. I saw your other message and yes, puppy training with paper can
cause this. Folks just don't realize the floor is getting damaged. If a
recent puppy issue, and not too deep, it's fairly fixable but still not
totally fun.