Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_2_] John Grossbohlin[_2_] is offline

Default Cleaning 'real' knotty pine paneling

"thermo102" wrote in message
While visiting my sister-in-law in Suffolk, Va. a couple years ago, she
asked if I knew of a good way to clean or brighten up the paneling in her
kitchen and dining room. It just looked too darned good to give her an
off-the-wall answer. (read as I didn't have a clue)

The house was built approximately 1965 and I'm sure she has used lots of
TLC because the paneling looks great, but I'm sure it has darkened
considerably over the years. Because of waxing, cooking, or cigarette
smoke I've no idea. I suspect all of the above, and maybe more.

We are planning another trip 'back east' this year and I thought it would
be nice when we drop in to see her to have an answer to her question.

The only thing I can think of offhand is TSP. Any hints or suggestions
would be greatly appreciated!

Wood Preen may do the job... I used to use it to clean floors, chair arms,
etc., that tended to get dirty and need waxing too. It will remove the
existing dirty wax. If the surface is really built up and dirty it might
take a bit of rubbing to keep it wet long enough for the cleaners to work

http://www.amazon.com/SaraLee-Kiwi-5.../dp/B000ATUKBA

John