Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default building jeep frame

I have the full dimensions for the CJ frames, they have a LOT of bends,
brackets, and quirks to make a fabrication job pretty messy. There are
several companies that do these from 2x4" tube to replace the double
channel original. Under $2000. A quick google came up with
http://www.throttledownkustoms.com/framesCJ7.html
http://www.acmejeepparts.com/product...cessories&c=38
The galvanized versions run around $800 more IIRC

You do not want to use aluminum: flex, fatigue, and strength all work
against you.

mark wrote:
My original jeep CJ-7 frame has rusted out and I was thinking of
building a new one from aluminum. Would 2 X 4 X 1/4 wall (if that is
even available) box tubing have the equivalent strength of the stock
1/8" wall steel frame? I would like aluminum because it will last
forever, no need of any paints etc..., very easy to work with and
cheaper than building a steel one and having it galvanized. My second
choice would be stainless 1/8" box tubing.