Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Metal vs. wood fence posts

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 17:34:26 -0800, Zz Yzx
wrote:

I've been investigating fence posts. I like this product,
theoretically:

http://contractors.masterhalco.com/C...PostMaster.pdf

I priced the posts at Home Depot: ~ $25 each. But the web site says
"cost just a little more than wood". I can get treated 4" X 4" wooden
posts for $10.

Does anybody have experience with this product? Any comments welcome.

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

The PostMaster looks like a great idea, pricey if you need a lot of
them. My 4x4 PT mailbox post was primed/painted/installed in
1993--still standing nice and strong. I set it in a hole with the
post resting on 2 buckets of gravel, and topped w/ ReadyMix concrete.
I recall using temporary sticks and stakes to make it plumb while the
concrete sets. One disadvantage of the wooden 4x4 is that it may
twist or bow with time, I glue up two 2x4s to make a more stable,
stronger 4x4 post. Worked great for my garden gate jamb posts, going
on 8 years.