Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
eclipsme[_2_] eclipsme[_2_] is offline

Default Kitchen Corner Cabinet solution

On 2/20/2010 2:07 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 20, 7:45 am, wrote:
On 2/19/2010 6:14 PM, SBH wrote:

wrote in message

I am facing a similar situation and saw this solution as well (and liked
it too). Still it seemed to me - though I never followed through on it -
that it would not be difficult to design something like this using full
extension slides. In the end, I have decided to put up a wall, a sliding
door and make the whole corner into a pantry, if that makes any sense at
all...

Maybe to others, but I'm not quite seeing the picture. Care to elaborate?

Thanks

Bad description on my part. Think of the typical blind cabinet
installation - cabs along a wall (C), ending in a blind cab at the
corner (B), and then more cabs (C) along the adjacent wall.

BCCCCCC

Now, take out the blind cab and the first cab or 2 on the adjacent wall.
Both lowers and uppers.

XXXCCCC

Wall this area in making a pantry about 2' deep (the depth of the
adjacent cab) by about 4' or more (the depth of the blind cab - 2' -
plus the width of the adjacent cabs)

If you are still with me, a sliding door goes where the adjacent cab
used to be. Now you have a full pantry from floor to ceiling.

C_
|__|CCC

I probably just confused the situation more...

I like this solution, too, but how would you get the first shelf to
pivot out of the way?http://www.pulloutcabinets.com/2008/...rner-solution/

Harvey

re "how would you get the first shelf to pivot out of the way"

I don't believe you do. I think that the set-up just allows you to
slide the back shelf over to the opening so that you can reach items
easier.

The problem I see is that the additional access is limited to the
width of the door.

I just checked my blind corner to see how well that solution would
work, and I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble.

My stick-built cabinet is 41" wide, with 27" of "blind area" and a 14"
opening.

ouch!