Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Metal vs. wood fence posts

On Feb 18, 5:34*pm, Zz Yzx wrote:
I've been investigating fence posts. *I like this product,
theoretically:

http://contractors.masterhalco.com/C...PostMaster.pdf

I priced the posts at Home Depot: ~ $25 each. *But the web site says
"cost just a little more than wood". *I can get treated 4" X 4" wooden
posts for $10.

Does anybody have experience with this product? *Any comments welcome.

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

They are a good product to interface with wood. Around where I live,
they end up costing less than chain link posts once you factor in all
the brackets and endcaps needed for tubing. I'd think the price could
come down once the volume of sales picks up.

Just be aware that they are springy. So, you're not going to use a
single postmaster to resist permanent side loading without some
augmentation or secondary support.

Since the new pressure treated wood these days is suspect at best
regarding long term rot resistance in concrete or dirt, I'd definitely
give the product a thumbs-up.

I like to use them differently than the manufacturer suggests. I put
the "hat brim" side toward the rails, so that each 2 x 4 can go across
the whole hat section and can get more screws. I stagger the rails so
that one panel's rail is higher, and the next panel's rail is lower,
etc. It helps create a much stronger joint, especially if the rail
ends split over time.

Then I cover the hat brims on the other side with 2x2's to hide most
of the metal glare before I start attaching fence boards. The
cosmetic stuff is, of course, optional.