Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Washable Electrostatic Furnace Filters - Use While Wet?

On Feb 17, 8:08*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Feb 17, 6:35*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:59:43 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

wrote:
I was looking at one of these "permanent" furnace filters at the Borg
the other day:

http://www.webproducts.com/Detail.bok?no=37

FWIW- my Dr. recommended the Bo-Air 15 [or so] years agohttp://www.riteair.com/
3 times as much as the ones at the Borg- but read on.

I bought one-- then decided it would be nice to be able to dry it
completely or soak it overnight, so I bought a second one at the Borg.
Patted myself on the back for getting it for a third of the cost of
the original. * But I never felt like it was filtering as well. There
was a lot less visible stuff on the surface- so I always assumed it
was probably letting a lot more particles through.

When I replaced my furnace this summer I needed new filters because
the old ones were a different size. * *I couldn't remember the name of
the company that made my original & the sticker had fallen off years
ago.- so I started looking online. * *All the asthma, allergy &
'trouble breathing' groups were *recommending the Bo-Air filters.

When it got here it was exactly the filter that I got way-back-when
that my Dr. had recommended.

My question:

After you rinse one of these can you put back in while it's still wet
or should you keep a spare "regular" filter on hand while the
electrostatic one dries out?

My thoughts were that the fine end of the filter was *so* fine that a
speck of dust would turn to concrete in a damp filter and render the
filter that much less efficient. * * * *Plus, I like to be able to
just grab the filter when my thermostat says it is time-- and do a
good job of cleaning at my leisure. *

Jim

I had a real electrostatic filter on a house I used to own. *It was
hardwired into 115v on the same circuit as the air handler. *It had
plates and they did get pretty dirty. *I would put them in the
dishwasher. *Take them out clean and dry. *I don;t think you can leave
them wet cause it would probably cause arcing. *Once in a great while
you'd hear some big piece of dust get zapped by the thing

yup, I have one of the Honeywell deals in my house. if you turn it on
too soon after cleaning you can hear it arcing.

One of these days I need to have my ductwork cleaned; the PO's had
been running the furnace with no filter at all for some unknown
(presumably long) period of time. The electrostatic helps but the
house is still full of dustbunnies if I don't vacuum every week. At
least I'm not loading up the condenser coils, anyway. (filter was
installed as part of a package with adding A/C to house)

nate