Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim S Jim S is offline

Default Cordless phones cutting out

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 12:27:29 -0800 (PST), terry wrote:

On Feb 12, 3:11*pm, Jim S wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:52:01 +0000, John L wrote:
In article ,
*Jim S wrote:

I have a set of 4 cordless phones. They have on occasion cut out in the
middle of a conversation. If the call is incoming I can hang up and pick up
another handset and continue, but it can happen again and the same thing
works with another handset. It first happened if I was using the speaker,
but recently it was during a normal call. The batteries are fine and the
distances between the phones and the master-phone is never more than 10m

Are you sure the batteries are fine? *Our phones do this occasionally,
nowadays. *The batteries *seem* fine, in that they show four bars on the
charge indicator when you pick them up ... but they quickly degrade to 2
then 1. * It was only last week that I realised that maybe I ought to
buy new ones (they're AAA rechargeables): *they ust be at least 4 years
old by now.

John

That was my first thought.
I have a battery tester, but am coming to the conclusion that it might give
wonky readings with rechargables. My test today was to leave the handset
next to where I am working,off the charger for several hours. That handset
cut out when the first call came in, but fortunately the handset in the
next room was still on its cradle and went on ringing.
The next question seems to be which type of battery do I replace with?
The current (no pun intended) ones are nickel metal hydride.
--
Jim S
* * * * Tyneside UK

Are they right type of batteries????
In other words same as the originals and therefore most compatible
with the chargers!
Just a suggestion.

Ah! I never thought of that.
Yes they are the originals ~ 3 years old
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK