Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Worcester Bosch Greenstar Jr 28i combi - problems?

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
Yesterday, my WB Greenstar Junior 28i combi developed an interesting
fault. Just as I was getting all lathered up with soap in my eyes, the
water turned icy cold. Lovely.

Towelling up and cursing, I found the boiler in lockout (red reset light
and blue mains light flashing alternately). Pressed the reset button to
be given a Christmas tree-like display of colours and was rewarded a
couple mins later with hot water. Until it went into lockout again a
few minutes later. Engineer that fitted it came out, sucked his teeth.
"it's faulty mate." What's wrong? "Er, dunno." Now what? "I call WB for
you and they come out" When? "they'll be here before 6pm today"

The fault is repeatable - it can be made to happen at will, by turning
the hot tap on. In between I can get some hot water. In between a
couple of resets yesterday the boiler made a peculiar rattling sound.

Before I consider my options, I haven't bought another Suprima, have I?
The idea of having the old cast-iron pilot-lit Glow worm and grotty rads
replaced a couple years ago was to buy reliability.

Just wondering whether it might be worth paying up for the extended
warranty. Might turn out to be VFM when the original warranty expires
in November this year. Asked engineer and he just shrugged (so helpful,
these guys!) Asked whether he'd had many callbacks and he seemed
noncommittal.

It's installed in the ground floor flat in a Victorian semi conversion
with 7 large double-panelled radiators. Worcester wireless hall stat.
Has been problem free since installation.

Be grateful for any comments, thoughts, terms of abuse, etc.

M.

IME WB engineers are generally pretty good and at least you know they
won't have to run around looking for spares. They do a £200+ call out
for which they replace up to 3 components. Given the cost of spares
(pump over £100 etc), this isn't too bad a deal.
I've elected to cover mine with a Domestic & General policy, mainly
because it includes the heat exchanger and corrosion damage which, from
memory, the others weren't too specific about. You pays your money etc.