Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default HEPA filter for furnace floor vent?

Tony Hwang wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

james wrote:

Has anyone seen pleated HEPA filter that fit into floor register vent?

I froogled but no luck. Maybe nobody makes such product.

The closest I found are sheets filters like this:
http://www.webproducts.com/Detail.bok?no=31

What I need is HEPA that filters not just dust but finer particles that
causes allergy that somehow got into the HVAC ducts. There is a furnace
filter at the intake duct but that does not help remove particles coming out
of the vents.

Of all the different hepa filters made in this world (some for vacuum
cleaners, some for air purifiers, etc), perhaps there is one that happens to
fit in a 3 7/8 inch x 11 5/8 inch rectangular space (inside dimension of a
vent register)?

Any ideas?

If there is noticeable particulate coming out despite having a good
filter on the intake for a reasonable amount of time, you likely have a
leak somewhere in the return ducting that is allowing dust to come in
and bypass the intake filter. This will also clog up your A/C "A" coil
if applicable as well as reducing the efficiency of your heat exchanger.

Hi,
How can a return air bypass intake filter whether leaking or not? Filter
is right at the base of furnace?????

In some installations the filter is right at the base of the furnace,
but in a lot of installations the filter is remoted to the intake
register where it is easier to service.