Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Default moving garage door to different wall

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message
On Feb 9, 6:25 pm, Actor123 wrote:
Hi all:

Our driveway is in need of complete replacement and as part of our
discussions we are considering moving the driveway entirely to
possible free up room for a later addition to the house. This would
involve keeping the same garage, but having the cars enter the garage
from what is now one of the "sides" of the garage. So basically it
would mean moving the garage door to an adjacent (perpendicular) wall
from where it is now, and then pouring a new driveway to a new
opening. I assume this can be accomplished by framing a brand new
opening on the side of the garage and just closing the existing hole
up. Are there any major issues I am not aware of with this? The only
thing I can possibly see is that the garage floor, which is now sloped
towards the existing opening for drainage, wouldn't be sloped
correctly for drainage anymore. Is this a code issue? Because if not
I don't think this is something that would cause me great concern (the
house itself is up a foot from the base of the garage, so it'd be
protected from any major water issues.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

No, the slope is not code. You can move the door to any exterior
wall. It's not that big a deal but you may have to frame a temporary
wall a foot or so inside the new location to hold up the roof while
you get the header in. I'd use a floor jack to preload it a bit.

I agree with the last poster here... Just frame in your old garage door
before taking out your load bearing wall and use something to support it
while you put in a header... I have a garage which this exact thing was
done. The door used to open to an alley way away from the house....Freaking
garage got broke into more times than anything....then moved the garage door
perpedicular to where it was before and solved the problem of break ins...
Only real issue when I cut the new door was rerouting electricial
lines....Jim