Posted to alt.home.repair

Default humidifier drain line

On Feb 9, 8:02*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Feb 9, 7:38*am, LouB wrote:

Kyle wrote:
I have an Aprilaire humidifier hooked up to my furnace (natural gas)
and this morning I found water on the floor under the condensate pump
where the humidifier drains. The pump is attempting to run, but it
isn't draining - the reservoir is full and not emptying.

As it was 5.2 degrees (Fahrenheit, not Celsius) this morning and
hasn't been above freezing for a few days, I suspect the drain line,
which empties outside next to the a/c condenser unit, froze and is
blocked.

Question 1: any suggestions for how to thaw the line well, with little
risk of refreezing? (Sunshine is not a thawing option, as the line
comes out under the back deck and never sees direct light.)

Question 2: since the furnace is in the laundry room and there's no
other drain (such as a sink) in the room, is it a good idea to maybe
re-route the condensate drain into the pipe where the clothes washer
drains?

Yes to the second question if the laundry drain inlet is lower than the
humidifier outlet.- Hide quoted text -

That doesn't matter. *Read the post, he has a pump already.

The washer drain is fine. *If there is room you can just stick the
discharge hose into the drain. *But check the pump first with another
piece of line and a bucket. *Soemtimes those thing sound like they are
running but really are broken.- Hide quoted text -

Agree. Use the existing hose if it's long enough and you can just
cut off the inside piece. Otherwise get a new hose at HD, etc. and
route it into the washer drain. Other suitable choice could be the
sump pump pit if you have one. I have mine just routed over to the
french drain at the edge of the wall without any pump.