Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default humidifier drain line

Kyle wrote:

I have an Aprilaire humidifier hooked up to my furnace (natural gas)
and this morning I found water on the floor under the condensate pump
where the humidifier drains. The pump is attempting to run, but it
isn't draining - the reservoir is full and not emptying.

Pump? Mine works on water pressure. There is a solenoid that you
might hear clicking. One click on, one click off. If you hear a hum
like a motor you might need a new solenoid.

As it was 5.2 degrees (Fahrenheit, not Celsius) this morning and
hasn't been above freezing for a few days, I suspect the drain line,
which empties outside next to the a/c condenser unit, froze and is
blocked.

Question 1: any suggestions for how to thaw the line well, with little
risk of refreezing? (Sunshine is not a thawing option, as the line
comes out under the back deck and never sees direct light.)

'Little risk of freezing' might be tough. I'd saddletap it into the
cellar drain if it is possible. You are using hot water, right?
Also something like 1 1/2 pvc is a lot less likely to freeze than a
smaller pipe- though the smaller pipe will handle the volume.

To thaw- us a hair dryer on the end 5-10 minutes should do it.

Question 2: since the furnace is in the laundry room and there's no
other drain (such as a sink) in the room, is it a good idea to maybe
re-route the condensate drain into the pipe where the clothes washer
drains?

That's where I'd go with it. Quick and dirty with a saddle-tap of
some sort.

Jim