Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Advice on cutting and repairing sheetrock wall

aemeijers wrote:

-snip-

I gave up years ago trying to center-cut on a stud- the joint always
ended up looking like crap, from the screws blowing out the cut raw edge
of the drywall. Now, instead, I flush-cut as tight as I can on the side
of the stud where it needs to be opened, and screw (not nail) blocks
against the stud, to catch the edge of the patch when it gets
reinstalled. That allows a proper margin between screw and edge of
drywall, and a nice straight and tight seam to patch.

Second that.

But then again, nobody will ever pay me for my drywall skills- it takes
me a day to do what a pro can do in an hour. And you can still tell a
pro didn't do it. :^(

One day!? You're fast. I futz around with about 10 coats before I'm
happy with it- then I paint it, cry for a minute, and forget it.

Jim