Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Advice on cutting and repairing sheetrock wall

Zootal wrote:
I have to cut a chunk of sheetrock out of a wall, approx. 2' x 5', to
repair some plastic water pipes (why do people use plastic in places
like this???). I'm going to replace the shower/tub valve, and replace
all of the plastic with copper. This is the final stage of a repair
job that I started a few weeks ago when a plastic (cpvc) pipe broke
in the bathroom wall. I'm basically replacing all of the plastic with
copper, and putting in new valves for the tub/shower, and toilets.

My question has to do with removing and replacing the sheetrock. I'm
not sure I can remove a piece this big intact, since it crosses a
stud and is screwed to the stud in a dozen places. Should I just hack
it out of the wall, or should I take the time to find and remove the
screws so that I can remove it intact?

If I take the time and trouble to remove it intact, I can replace it
with minimal finishing work. If I replace it, I have to redo the
texture that is on it so that it matches the rest of the wall. Any
advice from those of you who have done this before?\]

If you have extra sheetrock laying around, cutting the outside and then ripping
it out will be fastest. But, if you use a strong magnet to find the screws, you
can just scrape off the putty over them and back them out, and save the piece
without much difficulty. The biggest problem is cutting along the center of the
studs so you can re-screw both side when you are done in either case.

I use a magnet taken from the inside of an old 5 1/4" computer harddrive to find
screws/nails. It'll stick in place over them if you want.