Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Craftsman Radial Arm Saw Motor Removal

mikenj wrote:

You are correct that this motor has a capacitor and from my limited
experience, was the only easy component that I can access within the
motor. Also in this compartment are the 110/220v terminals. I did not
see any switch inside the motor, unless you mean the start switch
located in the arm. ...

No, the centriugal switch that switches the start cap out of the circuit
at speed.

If it ain't even hummin', that's not it. But, if it is a contacts
problem, try taking the air hose and nozzle and blowing the housing out
good.

I looked at the exploded drawing somebody showed link to a little --
they're not great for the specific purpose but it appears the leads to
the switch are the simplest to get to likely as looks like motor-end
connections are in the housing as opposed to a junction box.

There's bound to be a way in, simply start looking at the covers
carefully, it's possible there's a snap-on cover over arm assembly.

The old small DeWalt I have has a set of screws on the front end of the
switch cover that is a starting point, after that there's a cover on the
top of the arm that is dust protection and cosmetics for the innards of
the arm from the top. I forget otomh whether it just snaps on or is
held by the side pieces that have the scale imprinted on them.

Overall, it can't be too complicated, just takes some detective work to
see what went together last, hence comes apart first.