Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Watco Teak Oil

On Feb 3, 11:19*pm, "
wrote:
I have used Watco Danish oil many times and this is a synthetic teak
oil, really. *Do they make actual teak oil? *I have applied Watco over
oil stain many times and then topped that with a wipe on gel
polyurethane and even put mineral oil on top of that.

There is no "teak oil" in teak oil. Like almost all wipe on products
(I say all... I personally don't know of an exception) it is just some
type of resin that has been thinned to nothing. Just in case you are
really interested:

http://apps.risd.edu/envirohealth_ms...tcoTeakOil.pdf

Note the MINUSCULE amount of solids in the product. Essentially, it
is a hyper-thinned bottle of BLO with some metallic driers to make
sure it eventually dries. The reason this product offers so little
protection for hard use surfaces is in its own ingredients,
specifically its use of an inferior resin.

*Who needs a spray gun? *

No one should for these types of finishes!

These kinds of finishes are very forgiving and good
results are easy and long lasting because you wipe off the excess and
so it makes for very thin coats and thin coats are more durable.

These finishes are forgiving, and they are specifically targeted to
serve those who need (for whatever reason) to finish this way.

Thin coats of any finish do NOT make a stronger surface in
themselves. Generally speaking, thin coats assure that the underlying
coats that form the substrate for the subsequent coats have outgassed
and cured properly. In the case of simple build finishes such as
these, the coats resolvate into themselves, building a monolithic
film, negating layers of thin film buildup.

These products work by signaling the finisher that there is too much
product on in an area by remaining wet in certain areas at the time of
application. These wet areas indicate areas of excess finishing
material that need to be removed to ensure an overall uniform
application.

The simple reason this particular finish must be applied thin is that
it is BLO, and it is a painfully slow curing resin. If applied to
finishing standards, say a 3 mil coat, it would take weeks to cure
between coats.

Robert