Posted to misc.consumers.house
MNRebecca MNRebecca is offline

Default How to avoid ice-clogged furnace air intake pipe?

Thanks for all the feedback, everybody. I'll look it over thoroughly.

MNRebecca wrote:
*If I disconnect the pipe from
the furnace and let it draw air from the room instead (which I'm told,
by the repair guy, is harmless),

(Doug Miller) wrote:
He's right. It's less energy-efficient, because cold air is drawn into the
house to make up for it, but it won't harm anything (other than your bank
balance).

I'm a little confused by this. The intake pipe draws cold air from
outside. The air in the room is far warmer. Where/how is cold air
being drawn into the house to make up for the fact that I disconnected
the intake pipe and made the furnace use room air instead?

R. (really appreciates what she's learning)