Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Streater Tim Streater is offline

Default Squeaky chipboard floors

On 13/01/2010 10:28, slider wrote:
"Piers wrote in message
I have chipboard floors across the upstairs of my house - with the
chipboard
screwed into the joists.

These are pretty squeaky and, given we're likely to be soon replacing the
dodgy old thread-bare carpets with decent ones I figure I should fix the
squeaking now before the new carpets go down.

Does anyone know the cause and the fix for this squeaking? Is it simply a
matter of lifting the boards and re-screwing them down firmly, or is
something more involved recommended?

TIA,
Piers

You won't be able to lift the chipboard floor without breaking the tongue /
groove joint.

As a matter of interest, why is this? Or are the skirting boards added
after the floor is put down?

What about putting some heavy duty polthene sheet along each joist, so
that you stop it being chipboard rubbing against wood.

Personally I find such squeaking to be highly irritating and would love
to know a foolproof way of fixing it.

--
Tim

"That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines
imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted"

Bill of Rights 1689