Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default standard kitchen cabinet depth

Joe wrote:
"heteroscedastic" wrote in message
I have made a lot of kitchen cabinets, but I have never decided for
sure what standard 24 inch depth means--is it the overall depth of
the carcase, or is it the overall depth of the cabinet with drawers
and doors installed? A 24 inch carcase with overlay doors has a
total overall depth of 24 13/16" or so with overlay doors.
Countertops are 25" deep typically or maybe a bit more, and they
won't overhang the outer face of the cabinet by very much if you
have overlay doors and a 24" carcase. Everybody in the world knows
the answer here but me, I imagine.

Except me. What the hell is a 'carcase'?

Also sometimes spelled carcass. It is the frame or body of the cabinet.