Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT plumbing together two 20 lb. propane tanks?

On Jan 4, 7:28*am, Don Foreman wrote:

Manifolding multiple small tanks should work OK. *I'd do it upstream
of the regulator. *Tanks manifolded together would then be similar to
a larger tank. Boil rates in each tank would be similar because
they're at equal pressure, so the boil rate in each of two 20-lb tanks
would be half that of a 40-lb tank serving the same demand, and so on.
A problem with manifolding downstream of regulators is that the
regulators would need to be set to the exact same pressure. If they
weren't, the highest pressure reg would dominate until the tank
feeding it freezes enough so it can't meet delivery pressure setpoint.

I agree with Don, but would add that upstream of the regulators is
high pressure. So you want to manifold with plumbing that will not
rupture or leak. You could manifold after the regulators. And just
use one tank at a time. Open valve on tank A and light heater. After
about 15 minutes open valve on tank B and then close valve on tank A.
( I am assuming that a tank does not freeze up in less than 15
minutes. ) That would only take a few seconds, much better than
having to shut off the heat , change tanks and restart the heater.

Dan