Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_3_] Bob Minchin[_3_] is offline

Default How long does concrete take to dry?

Paul wrote:
Hi Rod, no I didn't check as I am not a builder and I wasn't watching
- I only saw the finished result.

What I am trying to get a feel for here is how long a 100mm depth of
concrete inside should take to dry indoors. If it takes longer than it
should, there is a problem, but I am not sure I have a problem right
now. That is what I need to find out before I have him dig it all up
again.

You need to be sure that the damproof course is working before laying
the carpet if I understand you correctly?

One way to do this is to lay a sheet of dry newspaper on the concrete
and cover it with a slightly larger sheet of polythene and press down
the edges e.g. four pieces of wood or similar. Each day, take up the
polythene and see if the paper is still dry. If it is damp/limp/tears
easily, then put in a fresh piece under the polythene ideally in a
different place for another day and repeat until the paper is reliable
left dry. only then consider laying carpet.

If water is still coming out of the concrete for whatever reason you
will need to ventilate the room.

I had read of drying/curing times of 1 week per 1" quoted but this has
been more about reach full strength than readiness for carpeting.

hth

Bob