Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon Grimly Curmudgeon is offline

Default Drill all drills

drugs began to take hold. I remember Jon Fairbairn
saying something like:

If you solidify metal quickly enough you can get metallic glass.
(My metallurgy supervisor was working on this thirty years ago
by dipping a thermally massive rotating wheel into molten metal,
resulting in a ribbon of metallic glass whizzing off. I've no
idea of the current state of the art.) Dropping hot cobalt into
liquid nitrogen might do it, but whether cobalt glass is any use
for anything, I can't say.

Reminds me of dropping molten lead into a bucket of water. Weird spikey
shapes.