Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_2_] Tim W[_2_] is offline

Default Anyone used Polycell crack-free ceiling paint?

Toom Tabard
wibbled on Monday 21 December 2009 10:18

Haven't tried the paint, but recently recently had to do a repair job
on a woodchip papered ceiling which I'd papered and painted 25+ years
ago and which had developed a network of hairline cracks. I filled in
the cracks using the blue hand-squeeze tubes of flexible pollyfilla,
dragging it along the cracks, smoothing into cracks with fingertip and
then wiping off excess. After painting, it looks excellent.
Paint might do the same job, but filling the cracks separately leaves
you with option of any paint/colour.

That's also an idea. Ta. I did wonder whether to just let the paint fill the
crack. But as another room has managed to pop a minor hairline through 2
coats of dulux, it may not be elastic enough.

It's clearly happening along the plasterboard sections. It isn't getting
worse due to me bounding around on the ceiling rafters so I suspect it's due
to contraction in the cold. I have no reason to suspect the plasterboard
wasn't scrim taped before plastering, but as it was already skimmed it's
hard to tell. If it weren't, there'd probably be cracks along many more
joints.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...