Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Large wall of drawers: How to build frame/carcass?

On Dec 9, 7:55*am, Kevin wrote:

I have a finished attic and I am looking to make it more useful by
building a storage unit that is made up of large drawers. *The space I
want to fill is about 9' wide x 5' tall x 2' deep

For 5' tall, you'll have sidewalls of 3/4" plywood; that's plenty to
support screwed-in metal drawer slides. For fine furniture,
there'd be dust panels separating the drawers, but you can
probably omit them, EXCEPT for one near midheight to keep
the case from bowing. This can just be a stick notched
to the right spacing,

A back to prevent racking can be 1/4" plywood, or even an X-brace
or three (the 9' width implies at least three banks of drawers).
Some kind of apron around the base will keep it rectangular on
the bottom, and a lid will keep it rectangular on top; my preference
for the lid would be dadoed 3/4" plywood, but if there won't
be anything on top you could use lighter material.

Like any built-in cabinets, you'll possibly need to shim the
base to follow any floor curvature. Because this is in an attic,
your cutting /fitting will be handled elsewhere (where the
sawdust doesn't annoy), and the parts will be carried
up one-at-a-time. A good big framing square and a level
are required for assembly.

It's amazingly hard to hand-dovetail plywood. Do the drawers
by a standard design of some sort, or even get a cabinet shop
to build 'em for you. For really heavy drawers, bolts/T nuts might
be a good way to attach the slides.