Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bob Daun Bob Daun is offline

Default Sand paper vs. steel wool

After I finish turning a bowl, I usually sand up to about 320 grit. After a
few coats of Formby's Tung Oil Finish, I let them dry and the sand with 400
grit paper prior to the next coat. A year or so ago I bought some Liburon
0000 steel wool which is a very high quality product. However, I often
wonder how this steel wool would compare to one of the finer grits of
sandpaper. Does anyone have information on the relative merits? Which is
the finer abrasive? The Liburon 0000 steel wool or 400 grit sandpaper.

Bob