Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default How to clean outside of white aluminum gutters

willshak wrote in
:

on 11/17/2009 1:15 AM (ET) __ Bøb __ wrote the following:
Try JOMAX .. available at ACE & both Borgs .. .. 1 part JOMAX + 4
parts bleach + 20 parts water ..

Spray it on .. watch the stains go from black to gray to orange to
yellow to GONE.

Rinsing is optional, but I usually do it just to keep any nasty
chemical reactions to a minimum.

This stuf is GREAT and has to be the best kept secret around.

They are discolored with vertical gray streaks on the sides, and
gray spots on the bottom where water flowing down the sides
accumulate in "puddles" along the bottom outside corner.

em.

You have to be careful with some cleaning solutions on aluminum
gutters. The gutters have a very thin coat of baked on paint.
I used a product that was meant for cleaning plastic garden furniture,
because it also cleaned almost everything else that regular cleaners
could not, and after spraying it on the gutters and wiping it off, it
started to dissolve the baked on paint and I had to stop. I then
repainted the gutters instead.

The stuff I had used was even labeled something like eco-green. I was
surprised how well it worked. Lucky I guess. When I initially but it on
and brushed, very little came off. Letting it sit for 5 min (without
drying!) then rebrushing was like magic. Like I said, just lucky.