Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Restoring rubber stair treads

Bob wrote:
I have rubber stair treads on my back entryway steps. They are black
rubber with many ribs on each tread(very very narrow space between
each rib). They are in excellent condition but although I vacuum and
mop(with ammonia solution) them often, they never really look that
good.
I am going to be repainting the wood portion of the stairs and would
like to have the rubber treads look a lot better than they do.
Removing them and going to new ones is not an option, so any ideas
about how to clean them, restore them,etc would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Bob

There is an industrial product called "rubber rejuvinator", very volatile,
but it cleans rubber very well. Years ago I worked in a autobody shop and we
used "tire paint" to refresh the tires after we painted and cleaned the car.
It was thick out of the can, you thinned it to water consistency and painted
the tires, rubber car mats and foot pedals to make them all look new for the
used car lots that were our customers.

I saw some many years ago in an auto parts store, so I don't know if it is
still available now.