Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Cracks in Plaster Due to Very Cold Temperatures

"George" wrote in message
frank1492 wrote:
I think this theory is incorrect. My GF is selling her mother's house
and is
reluctant to shut down the heat and drain the pipes over the winter.
(We live in the Northeast.) She was told by an "expert" that the
plaster will crack. I regularly shut my heat off for the winter at my
summer home, and have never had cracks in my plaster ceilings.
I'd like your comments. Obviously sudden temperature changes
might do it, but not one slow drop.
Thanks in advance for help.
Frank

If she is interested in selling the house she needs to keep the heat on to
at least have the place warm for showing. Prospective buyers will quickly
turn their backs if they are shown it in deep freeze mode where people
will have chattering teeth and the florescent lights are blinking like a
horror show.

The freezing shouldn't hurt the plaster per say BUT the moisture isn't good
for alot of things including the plaster , especially if it is already
bad..In the NE winters tend to be cold and WET....Nothing smells worse than
an cold damp musty house...Not good for the wallpaper or paint either ....