Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Cracks in Plaster Due to Very Cold Temperatures

On Oct 31, 10:24*pm, frank1492 wrote:
I think this theory is incorrect. My GF is selling her mother's house
and is
reluctant to shut down the heat and drain the pipes over the winter.
(We live in the Northeast.) She was told by an "expert" that the
plaster will crack. I regularly shut my heat off for the winter at my
summer home, and have never had cracks in my plaster ceilings.
* * * I'd like your comments. Obviously sudden temperature changes
might do it, but not one slow drop.
* * *Thanks in advance for help.
* * * * * Frank

I do it every year and am ok, If she isnt living there draining pipes
anyway is smart since heating systems do break, if its a boiler with
radiators depending on how pipes are run, it may ruin pipes by turning
down the system if boiler pipes are are close to exterior walls and
freeze on the coldest nights.