Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.camping

Default Calor gas: propane vs. butane

Stephen submitted this idea :
Hello,

I was reading the Calor Gas FAQ at:
http://www.calorgas.co.uk/faq/which-gas.htm

It makes the interesting point that butane boils at 0 degrees Celsius,
so butane cylinders won't work in the cold.

It actually becomes unusable a little above its boiling temperature,
but as it boils to vapour it draws off some of its heat. Which is why
you sometimes see ice forming on bottles which are in heavy use.

It also says that propane should be used for barbeques and patio
heaters. Is this for the same reason or is propane cheaper to produce?
Surely no-one would want to be under a patio heater or be barbequing
when it is freezing? Why can't butane be used?

See above.

I thought I read somewhere on the same site that only butane can be
used and stored indoors and that propane can only be used indoors on a
temporary basis, e.g. a plumber's blow torch. Is there a safety reason
for this? Is propane inherently more dangerous? Why?

Pass.

I presume that is why indoor heaters have to use butane? That can't be
helpful if the temperature drops to freezing! I guess you have to turn
the heater on before it gets that cold. That said, are such heaters
recommended? I thought that for domestic use they cause condensation
issues and didn't someone die from poisoning (carbon monoxide)?

They need good ventilation and yes they do produce lots of vapour.

Probably best to use a fan heater if possible?

Yes. Not much difference in price of fuel and you do not need good
ventilation to use a fan heater - much safer.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)