Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vortex4 Vortex4 is offline

Default Moving a Consumer Unit. Cable extension "best practice" question. [PING Andy Gabriel]

Hi,

I need to move 6 circuits from an old CU (which will be removed) to a new
one (which is already installed).

2 x ring main (32 Amp)
1 x Simple spur (15 Amp, to boiler and controls)
3 x lighting (5 Amp)

The problem is that I will need to extend the existing cabling by about 2
feet to the new CU.

I intend to use IMO DIN components / IP66 enclosure which I will install at
the location of the (old) CU.

My question arises from this pic I found (posted by Andy)
http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/cu1.jpg and concerns the ring main circuits:

QUESTION

Given that the CU and the DIN rail will be separated, should I extend the
ring circuits using 2 x 2.5mm T&E cables so they meet at the new CU? Or
is it valid to run single 4.0mm T&E from junction box to new CU (essentially
as in the picture)?