Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Load capacity of 200-amp panel

In article s.com, "EXT" wrote:
JayB wrote:
This came up elsewhere and I am just curious about what the answer is.

If someone has a main service panel with a 200-amp main breaker, how
many amps of service can that panel actually service?

I am probably not wording this correctly, but I thought that I
remember something about a 200-amp main breaker actually being okay
for 400 amps of service since there are two separate circuits coming
in (a 240-volt service split into two 120-volt circuits in the panel
box).

It all depends on voltage. A 220 amp service can in theory (you are not
supposed to use more than 80%)

Not so. You misunderstand the 80% rule.

supply 200 amps at 240 volts OR 400 amps at
120 volts or any combination of the above.