Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default alternative way to install a lintel

"swimmydeepo" wrote in message
Just a few points...
the wall is actually a chimney breast which is going to be modified to
regain some space. In particular, the overall structure remains intact
with only an aperture in the front to accomodate e.g. a TV/media unit
or a cupboard....so I'm dealing with a single leaf of bricks.
The supporting issue doesn't seems to pose a problem...basically I'm
racking out some mortar - similar to a repointing job just a bit
deeper (let's say 60% maybe more) and installing a L shaped lintel -
this so far seems to be a fairly safe and simple job.
The opening should be around 1.5-1.8 m wide, so the lintel is going to
be around 2m maximum.
The main issue is whether it is safe to leave the lintel in place as
it isn't completely in place or installing a proper one underneath
(e.g. a squared shaped one) .

Just a little note..
some chimney breasts carry far more load than the brickwork above them.
like there may be concrete liners and other stuff to support.
One I saw had a thick concrete slab resting on it and a double walled
concrete chimney on top of that.
You have checked?