Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer Tony Bryer is offline

Default alternative way to install a lintel

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 14:13:11 -0700 (PDT) Swimmydeepo wrote :
I have a rough idea of how to install a lintel on an existing wall
(to make a new opening) using strong boys and needles. I don't have
such tools and thinking of adopting another method:

As others have said, you usually hire these.

How thick is the wall: if half brick (100mm), then I would want to
prop anything bigger than a single door opening. If it's a solid one
brick wall (215mm) then one option is to use twin beams: cut away on
one side, insert one beam, pin up and allow packing to set, then do
the other side.

--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com