Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
LdB LdB is offline

Default casters for radial arm saw

All of my large tools are on rolling stands. Several are on home made
stands, some are on commercial universal rolling bases.

My radial arm saw, planer (400 lb. + King) and 14 " bandsaw are on
homemade stands that roll into an opening in my workbench, giving me
8' + on either side of the tools to use as infeed and outfeed as well
as a rip fence the full length of both benches. The stands all have a
foot operated mechanism I built in that lifts the stands onto casters
or drops the stands down onto adjustable legs. The workbench was
installed with a laser level to line things up. It's straight and flat
from end to end within the tolerances of the laser beam, with the
tools in place. I can set the radial arm saw in place so that it's rip
fence lines up to the workbench rip fence on either side within the
thickness of a piece of paper in less than a minute.

I have had the radial arm for close to thirty years. It is the most
versatile tool I own. It can be almost as accurate as my table saw, a
General cabinet saw with a JessEm miter gauge. It has to be checked
for alignment every time the arm gets bumped or moved. It can usually
be brought back into "close enough" alignment with a few thumps. Since
I bought the table saw I no longer use the radial for extreme
accuracy, it take too long to fiddle with.

LdB

racing John wrote:
father in law has a craftsman radial arm saw he wants to give me, and
was wondering if the make a caster kit to put on them so i can roll it
around...thank you