Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Beckett burner on oil boiler not firing

"Jordan" wrote in message
I have a Burnham oil boiler with a Beckett burner on it. The burner
does not fire up. It just kind of buzzes or hums a bit for about 30
seconds then shuts off. I am hoping I can get one more week out of
this unit because I am getting the whole unit replaced next week, but
I have a couple of cold days in the mean time.

Any tips on what might be the problem.

What is buzzing? Is the motor turning? If it has bad bearings or bad
capacitor, the motor may hum and not turn. Sometimes if you just give it a
spin and hit the power it will run.

I hope you are getting a new unit that is Energy Star compliant. There is a
$1500 tax credit for them, as well as some states offering rebates and 0%
financing for 10 years. There are links from the Energy Star web page to
the state listings.