Posted to alt.home.repair
Limp Arbor Limp Arbor is offline

Default Electrolysis for de-rusting

On Sep 13, 3:25*pm, Puddin' Man wrote:
In chemistry and manufacturing, electrolysis is a method of using an
electric current to drive an otherwise non-spontaneous chemical
reaction.

I think it should be practical to use electrolysis to remove rust from
my motorcycle header pipes prior to applying new paint. Could use some
advice from experienced person(s).

Origninal finish on (steel) pipes was likely enamel, lasted 20+ years. Pipes
are now moderately rusted.

I have a large plastic Muck Bucket and an 8 Amp (max) 12v trickle charger..
Thinking of using a steel water pipe for an anode.

Could use washing soda or maybe lye (if I can find it) for electrolyte.
Which would be better for removing both rust and old paint?

How long might it take to do such a job?

Any/all other info, suggestions etc much appreciated.

* Thx,
* Puddin'

Will probably take no more than 24 hours. The more you can surround
the piece you are trying to de-rust with the sacrificial rod the
quicker/better it will work. Best results I had were when I used
chicken wire fencing to wrap around the entire container.

Unfortunately the process is not without side effects. I'v done it a
few times and the derusted part ends up with a dull gray color and an
odd texture. The texture could be due to the rust being 'ripped' away
by the current. The parts also seem to re-rust much quicker than raw
steel. This seems to happen even if you thoroughly rinse and
immediately dry the piece.

With light rust and a pipes that will be painted anyway you're
probably better off with a wire wheel in a drill to remove the rust
then follow up with hi-temp rustoleum.