Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Re-roofing a barn

Jules wrote:
It's not something I want to get stuck into this year - just looking for
ideas and options right now. Maybe next Spring after it's warmed up a
little, and if time and money allow (that amount of shingles plus all the
lumber I'll need won't come cheap, I suspect)

Given the overall cost and effort, I'll reiterate don't sell short the
"find a cheap lift for the duration" option. If you have a place of any
size at all the number of uses you'll find for it will amaze you once
you have it. I intended to sell it as soon as got done w/ the barn but
now it's become a staple around the place I'd hate to do without.

This old barn was still in solid shape (it's much drier here than MN so
that helps a lot) but w/ what siding that did need replacement and some
sill plate plus the roof material itself (got a year-end deal on 1/2"
shakes at $95/square as was this time of year after two _horrendous_
hail storms in town that spring left the building supply w/ more on hand
than wanted to store over winter) ended up into the $20K neighborhood.

Is this an open (not solid sheathed) wood shingle roof I presume? If
so, while I used the shakes as noted because they made me a deal and
didn't have sufficient of the sawn shingles in stock I would _not_
recommend them and would not choose them again for the purpose. Or, if
do, instead of the straight installation as was common, you will
definitely need a paper layer to stop the blowing snow infiltrating
between when the wind blows. They're water tight just fine but let a
lot of snow thru when the wind blows (and out here it never blows just a
little--it's 30+ or more; last spring had "the real deal" blizzard again
of 2 days of 50-60 mph and 2-ft snow (altho how they could make any
guess as to the actual snowfall is hard to fathom given the drifting).
Anyway, the upshot was the haymow as pretty full as well--didn't help
that the wind blew so hard and long it managed to work the haymow door
open along its sliding track either, of course. All in all, looks good,
has a definite shortcoming that the flat shingles didn't.