Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default Re-roofing a barn

We've got an old arched-roof dairy barn (built in 1950) which obviously
hasn't been maintained or used in *many* years (we moved here last year).
The frame and three walls are good; the other wall's not so hot, it
needs new windows, and there are several holes in the roof - so it needs
some major surgery before re-shingling :-)

Fixing it up's a medium-term project though, as there aren't too many of
those types of barn left around here (northern MN), and it'd be a shame
for it to collapse (as I see so many have done).

I'm happy doing the wall work, and I'd be happy doing the roof too -
except that it's so darn high, making access tricky. Must be about 40' to
the very top. I'm curious as to what the best method is to work up there -
a series of ladders*, scaffold, climbing ropes etc. (I'm not sure that a
cherry picker would either go that high or be able to reach over the
20' or so needed to get to the center? Plus the rental costs for one are
quite insane up here anyway - and they presumably didn't use one back when
it was first built)

* shame I can't start at the top and work my way down when re-shingling,
or I could physically bolt ladders to the structure as I worked.

cheers

Jules