Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much insulation is too much?

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 18:46:19 -0700 (PDT), Christopher Nelson
wrote:

I have a split level house with a bedroom on the top-most floor. It
might have been "attic" space when the house was built but was
finished when I bought it. The room is cold in the winter and hot in
the summer even though it's straight above the furnace with a fairly
straight duct leading to it. (The kitchen is on the first floor,
above the furnace and below the bedroom.) I imagine part of that is
bad air return but the walls that run parallel to the ridge line are
around 4' high and are 2x4 construction with one layer of pink
fiberglass insulation. The outside of those walls (near the eaves) is
fairly easily accessible and I wonder if it's worth adding 4" or 6" of
fiberglass. Any thoughts?

I put 2X the recommended insulation in my attic. It lowered my
cooling/heating bills. The best thing was that I did it 18 years ago.