Posted to uk.d-i-y
geraldthehamster geraldthehamster is offline

Default Floor varnish changing colour of floorboards

On Aug 28, 7:19*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Varnished pine certainly darkens considerably with oil based varnish.
Could be a combination of the varnish and the wood itself changing colour..
Doesn't seem anything like as dramatic with a water based varnish -
perhaps this blocks out light etc in a different way?

I suppose that makes sense, when you think what happens when you apply
oils to wood - not that I suppose the solvents used in varnishes bear
much relation to linseed oil, teak oil, etc. ;-) and I suppose in
theory the solvent is just a carrier, that evaporates.

Regards
Richard