Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Mr.E@totally.invalid is offline

Default Wire nut w/5 #12

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:31:09 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 8/26/2009 7:49 AM Steve Barker spake thus:

sid wrote:

Can someone tell me the best way to wire-nut 5 #12 wires in a 4x4"
box. I know that a red nut will accept 5 #12 solid wires, but is
there a better way ? I have seen posts that talk about con-blocks and
others that talk about compression nuts. I can't find either at
HomeDepot or any other big box.

Strip off 1" or better, get a real good twist with a GOOD pair of flat
nosed pliers, then solder, then cut back to 1/2" to 3/4" of soldered
wire showing and tape well.

Surprised to see someone make that suggestion.

Yes, it would definitely be a superior connection, both electrically and
mechanically. But aside from the extra work involved, it has the problem
of not being easily un-doable in case some future electrician needs to
fix or add something.

Ever try to open a crimped connector and add a wire?

Kind of like the old Western Union splices ...

--
Mr.E