Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Denis G. Denis G. is offline

Default Milling a V-groove

On Aug 15, 11:27*am, Frank J Warner
wrote:
What sort of end mill do I need to mill a series of V-grooves in the
edge of a piece of steel?

The steel is annealed D2, S30V, or ATS-34, from .125" to .250" thick (a
knife blade), and I want to make a series of regularly spaced V-grooves
laterally along the edge or spine, like this:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

The angle does not really matter as I will be finishing these grooves
by hand with needle files. My objective is regular spacing with a
V-shaped notch or groove.

Sorry to be so dense but I am still learning some of the terminology
for these things.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:http://www.franksknives.com

There are a variety of ways to do this including the ones mentioned
above. If your father was an old time machinist, maybe he had
metalworking shaper If you have one of these, it’s easy to grind a
single point tool bit to match the profile that you need and index the
table manually to get the desired pattern.
Here’s a shaper in action to give you some idea of what they can do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7usJq7Qlhk

If you don’t have a shaper, it could be an opportunity to acquire a
new metalworking tool!