Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Window film to block sun heat

Van Chocstraw wrote:
JimmyDahGeek wrote:
On Jul 31, 4:26 am, "John61" wrote:
My new house has a few big windows facing southwest, taking much sun
heat in
the afternoon. Have to keep the heat pump working till after midnight to
cool down.

I went to HomeDepot and hoped could find some kind of window film
that can
block sun heat - something like we put on minivan window glass. But
there
are only some small packs of decorative films available there. Need some
advice on this.

Thanks.

Any place that does auto window tinting should be able to sell you
some. You may want to consider having them do it. If done wrong it
bubbles and looks really ugly. We had all of the windows in our house
done by one of the local firms 10 years ago and they all still look
good. Be careful what you wash the windows with because some cleaners
are not good for tinted windows and will weaken the adhesive.

That bubbling is caused by the morons not removing the backing on the
window tint plastic.

I have never seen a backing on those plastic films. The bubbles are due
to trapped air.